Self Pack Interstate Removals
Self Pack Tips for Interstate Removals
Our friendly staff have many years of experience with shipping containers and we are available to offer self packing advice at any time. It is important to ensure that you maximise the use of the space inside, and ensure that nothing moves during the transit.
Here are a few helpful tips to get you started with your self pack…
If you can, get some helpful family or friends to help you pack your boxes and make a fun day of it! Put on some lunch, make sure you eat and drink along the way.
- Write a list of all the goods that need to be packed so you don’t miss anything, tick off as you go
- Mark and number each box with its contents, ie Laundry / Linen. Box 1 of 20.
- Personal items should be wrapped and loaded into strong cardboard moving boxes. Reinforce the bottom of the boxes with plenty of tape. Fill each box to the top. Use original shipping boxes for computers, printers and other electronic items where possible.
- Don't over load. Be sure box tops and sides don't bulge or break.
- When loading a shipping container ensure you tie everything off as you go. Use the tie down points in the shipping container with strong rope.
- Mix small items with larger items to fill spaces, and don't save all your boxes for the end.
- Place soft, light items such as pillows in a plastic bag and place them in small spaces where boxes can't fit.
- Larger personal items such as furniture, etc., should be blanket wrapped and/or protected in plastic or with a soft wrap padding.
- All appliances should be clean and dry. Immobilize moving parts and remove all detachable cords and wires. Tape electrical cords to the appliance and tape all doors and lids closed.
- Drain all fuel and oil from lawn mowers, chain saws and other equipment. Disconnect all batteries.
- Your personal possessions should not include anything that is poisonous, flammable, corrosive, perishable, fuels, cleaning chemicals, insecticides or any original documents (such as birth certificates, wills, original videos, wedding, etc.). Portable gas bottles cannot be loaded.
Call us anytime to discuss, we are happy to answer any queries you may have!